- 2018 Honorary promotor of Professor Joan Williams, on the occasion of the Honorary Doctorate bestowed upon her by the University of Utrecht.
- 2018 Senior Career Contribution Award, Society for Personality and Social Psychology (Division 8) of the American Psychological Association, honoring major contributions to social and/or personality psychology.
- 2017 Outstanding Paper Award – the publication ‘Bad apples or corrupting barrels? Preventing traders’ misconduct’ was selected as the winner of the outstanding paper award by the editorial team of the Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance.
- 2017 Jean Paul Codol Award from the European Association of Social Psychology, for significantly advancing the cause of social psychology in Europe by means of outstanding service to the field.
- 2017 Women in Financial Services Diversity Research Accelerator Award 2017, for the paper: Derks, B., Van Laar, C. & Ellemers, N. (2016). The Queen Bee Phenomenon: Why women leaders distance themselves from junior women. The Leadership Quarterly, 27, 456-469.
- 2017 Listed as one of the ‘top-read articles’ in the journal, December 2017: Faniko, K., Ellemers, N., Derks, B., & Lorenzi-Cioldi, F. (2017). Nothing changes, really: Why women who break through the glass ceiling end up reinforcing it. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 43, 638-651.
- Elected Corresponding Fellow of the British Academy (FBA) for the Humanities and Social Sciences, for academic distinction in scholarly research and publication.
- Elected Fellow of the Society for Personality and Social Psychology, as a special tribute for outstanding contribution to the field.
- Elected member of the Netherlands Royal Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW), in recognition of scientific contribution and excellence.
- Graduate school award for Kurt Lewin Institute, Dutch National Science Foundation (NWO).
- Winner of the first ‘Merian Award’ (selected from among 68 nominees), instigated by the Dutch Royal Academy of Sciences (KNAW) and sponsored by SNS-REAAL Fonds, awarded once every four years to a female social scientist in the Netherlands for scientific excellence and promotion of equal chances for women in science.
- Winner of the ‘Spinoza Award’, the highest award in Dutch science, awarded by the Dutch national science foundation NWO, for outstanding, pioneering and inspiring scientific work.
- Best Paper Award - the publication “Is managing the work-family interface worthwhile? Benefits from employee health and performance”, was selected as best paper published in the Journal of Organizational Behavior in 2009.
- 2010 Member, Royal Dutch Society of Sciences (KHMW)
- Rosabeth Moss Kanter Award for Excellence in Work-Family Research – the publication “There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so: Informational support and cognitive appraisal of the work-family interface” was selected as one of the twenty best articles of 2009, from 2000 articles on work-family research examined.
- 2009 Elected Fellow, Society of Experimental Social Psychology
- 2009 Elected Fellow, Association for Psychological Science
- Winner of the Kurt Lewin Award, awarded once every three years by the European Association of Experimental Social Psychology, ‘to honor scholars who have made significant and sustained contributions to the science of social psychology’
- Honorary International Fellow, American Psychological Society
- European Jaspars Award for early scientific achievement